Friday, March 20, 2009

Winter’s Last Hurrah

Snow flurries welcomed the arrival of spring in the Big Apple. Although the temperature around 7:15 AM was 39 degrees Fahrenheit, snowflakes as large as goose down were falling from the sky, tickling my nose, as I walked my dog Hermes around the neighborhood. Those large white splotches in the picture to the right are the snowflakes that were falling this morning as Hermes and I made our rounds.

Spring officially arrived at 7:44 AM. Today’s high is predicted to be 45 degrees Fahrenheit.

When I was younger I enjoyed all four seasons, taking as much pleasure in x-c skiing and winter backpacking in January as I did in rock climbing on a sun baked rock face or kayaking under clear sunny skies in July. It seems that as I grow older I appreciate summer more than winter.

No comments: