Wednesday, April 8, 2009

How to S**t in the Woods

The other day I was honored to be interviewed by Attila Horvath for a story he is writing for Get Out! magazine. He wanted to interview me because I am supposed to be somewhat of an expert about the topic he was writing about. His topic? How to shit in the woods (in an ecologically sound way, of course).

There is actually a book by that title, but I have loaned out or misplaced my copy so I have attached an original photograph (right) of the next best scatological book in my personal library, Up Shit Creek.

Here is the poop. Deposit solid human waste in catholes dug 6 to 8 inches deep at least 200 feet from water, camp and trails. Cover and disguise the cathole when finished, and pack out your toilet paper. For more in depth information about disposing of human waste when there is no toilet or outhouse in site, consult the web sites of The National Outdoor Leadership School and/or the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics.

Since I also write about religion and spirituality as well as climbing and kayaking I suppose I should cite at least one biblical reference to back up the practice of disposing of human waste in a cathole. Take a look at Deuteronomy 23:12-13, where you will find Leave No Trace (LNT) principals related to human waste in God’s Holy Word: No shit! I’m not kidding.

Deuteronomy 23:12-13 (NRSV) “You shall have a designated area outside the camp to which you shall go. With your utensils you shall have a trowel; when you relieve yourself outside, you shall dig a hole with it and then cover up your excrement.”

No comments: